Help Us Grow!

Please INVITE your co-workers and other woodworkers to join your network.

Connect to us!

Get the latest news on Twitter.
Never miss an update, become a fan on Facebook.
Watch CabinetMakerFDM videos on YouTube.
Download the Sawdust Soup Smart Phone App.

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Hi peole!

This is my first time I will be buying a motor for my woorkshop. 

I would be really grateful if you could advice me something.

Well, here are the spec:

Single HP

1725 or 1800 RPM

Three Phase

TEFC preferred

56C frame size

which brands to consider. By now I heard a lot about baldor. possibly you know other reliable brands

Thanks!! 

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are you running with the motor? Is this to replace an existing motor?

the motor is needed for the table saw

It's only 1 hp, but it's 3 phase? That's a little unusual. I replaced a 1 hp single-phase motor in an old Rockwell contractor saw some years ago. I used a new GE Marathon motor I bought on eBay. It worked fine. However, that motor was made in Mexico, if I recall correctly, and I believe the Baldor motors are still made in the USA, if that makes a difference to you. I used a Baldor motor to replace the 1 hp motor in my old Logan metal lathe in the 1970s, and that motor is still going strong more than 30 years later. Of course, that doesn't say anything about the quality of current production. If you are looking for sources, Grainger (www.grainger.com) usually has a good selection of electric motors.

thanks Will Sampson

"I used a Baldor motor to replace the 1 hp motor in my old Logan metal lathe in the 1970s, and that motor is still going strong more than 30 years later." that is really cool.

found this model, https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/2... 

Are these charateristics good? 

I'm no expert on electric motors but it looks like that matches your specifications. I'm still a bit surprised by the 3-phase rating for just 1 hp.

I no longer have my contractor saws, but I recall that the 1 1/2 motors would bog down if stock was fed too fast or was too thick. Some of those saws had a 2 hp motor that was much better. If you have the budget, you might find a reasonably priced used cabinet saw with 3+ hp. There is much less vibration and generally they make nice cuts. Best wishes, Tom.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Watt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service